Well, we had "General Conference" this weekend. I put it in quotes because they couldn't get the signal for the first session because the satellite had not been tested previously. Then they set up a TV for the three English speaking elders to watch. Then the church's sound system went out because it wasn't set up properly, so they took our TV and put it in Portuguese with a speaker hooked up. They didn't have time to do anything before 6AM priesthood session on Sunday, so we watched that in Portuguese as well. Then Elder Wells and I showed up 15 minutes before the meeting and everything was shut off and locked up. So we got into the building but we had no key. Then a member who is always angry came in and asked why we showed up so early. He didn't seem too surprised that it would start in 5 minutes. Then Elder Wells and I broke into the audio/visual room and started trying to figure out what to do. Angry man just sat in the back of the chapel shouting, "Turn it on! It's starting! Come on!". Finally Elder Wells turned and said, "Why don't you stop criticizing and help?" Then he started in on how we're rich Americans from the land of technology and we don't know how to work the A/V stuff. I was fed up by this point so I turned to him and asked, "You come from the land of Soccer, why aren't you on the International Team?" He shut up and helped us after that. And even the Stake president didn't show up until halfway through the session. I can't believe how they treat conference as if it's nothing! We can hear the PROPHET OF GOD!
Sorry this letter is kind of negative this week but I've been struggling. The amazing part is that God opened my ears and when I was feeling the spirit, I understood conference. I also learned that sometimes (if they speak that language) the speakers pre-record their talks in the other language. One guy it was obvious that he really spoke Spanish and it got me wondering if my accent sounds like his to the Brazilians.
Q: How is your health?
A:Pretty good. I gained weight in the CTM but I lost some already out here. My feet have never blistered. I only get dehydrated during fasts. All in all, I'm good.
Q: What is the weather like there? Is it going to be a hot Christmas!
A: I sweat when I sit still and there is a puddle above my belt in the back by the end of the day. And it's only getting hotter! The rain is stopping and won't come back until fall. I don't know what the temperature is because I don't have a thermometer, but it's hot!
I love you all. Keep the faith.
Elder Page
No comments:
Post a Comment