Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bom-vindo a Boa Vista

I got transferred! It really never happens that the trainee gets transferred, but I did. We were at the bishop's mom's house when we got a call saying, "Elder Wells is staying and Elder Page is transferred!" I was not ready at all because everyone was saying, "The novinhos always stay. Don't worry about it!" I was up until 1:30 or 2 (I had to wash clothes) and I had to wake up at 5:30...sweet...
In the huge meeting in Soledade we got told who our new companions are and where we would serve. And my companion is...(drum roll please)...Elder Trindade! He's a Brazilian who has only been here for 6 months and this is his first transfer as a senior. We are also opening an area that shut 2 1/2 weeks ago because of snakes (female missionary-hunters...ewwww) and lack of baptisms. We're here to change all that.
The city that I'm in is called Garanhuns. So here I am. I got here and then started this e-mail. I probably will not get your letters as fast because I'm in the interior of the state. I heard we're one of the areas farthest from the office that is still open!

I guess I better give you some of the highlights of this last week with Elder Wells. This week was so unproductive, but at the same time it gave me hope for the future of that area. We found some members that want to help and have a lot of referrals. We also started to progress with one of our investigators; I don't know if I already talked about Adelân, but he is a member's boyfriend. And he was at first just trying to tear Nathalia away from the church, but her testimony is too strong. Elder Wells told him that we knew what he was doing and we wouldn't meet with him again until he really wanted to know if the church is true. He came to conference and he felt something. Later, he prayed and he felt a strong peace and joy We told him this was an answer but he needs a little time to recognize that fully. Well, on Sunday night, we went to Nathalia's house and with him and the whole family, we watched "Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration". It was so good, and he cried in the middle of it. If you haven't seen it, ask the missionaries if they have it and set up a family night with some non-member friends (shameless missionary advertisement). Seriously, that movie has a power I've never seen in any other movie besides "The Testaments".

I love the mission and I love you all.

Elder Page

So it's a 'little' hotter than you read on the internet?!!?
A.Yes
Are you drinking a lot of water?
A:Yes
Can you drink it from the tap?
A: NO WAY, Are you kidding? We have to buy mineral water (purified) in gallon containers.
Please tell us a little more about your companion.
A. Elder Wells is from Draper and he was baptized at 8 (his mom was a convert by his step-dad). He didn't really go to church until he turned 12 and got a strong testimony. He is a very bold elder and he just says things like they are ("You need to pray SPECIFICALLY if the Book of Mormon is true."). He's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment