Friday, September 17, 2010

Gift of "tongues" and such... (17 Sep 2010 email)

So I have the gift of tongues. That's right I ate flan...and LIKED it!?!?!? The first few times it was like swallowing a little bit of death, but I started LIKING it! I am convinced of the gift of tongues now.

In portugués the holy ghost descends in the form of a PIGEON!?!?!? They don't differentiate between the types, so I just picture a nasty, fat, pigeon landing on John the Baptist's head...not cool.

So this week was like the most depressing of my life. We said goodbye to five investigators and got three Book of Mormons back. It was hard.

Good stuff:
We have Daniel, the smartest kid in the world whose dad is never home. And we have his step-mother, every time she disciplines her two-year-old and takes something from him, she says " that elder took it" because she thinks I don't understand. So now he's scared of me, Great! So we went on Saturday night trying to find his dad so someone could take him to church (we can't) and we found his mom! She is inactive and trying to reactivate, but she lives in another stake; but she told us not to leave Daniel, but to find a way to get him to church. As we were leaving, Elder Wells said, " We are going to knock every door in this neighborhood to find someone to take him to church." I had hardly agreed when a girl opened the door of the house across the street and called, "Elders". Next thing I knew we were teaching this amazing family of four. The only difficulties we have are their work schedule (crazy!), their belief that ALL things about Christ are good (no ONE church), and their view of Daniel. I really hope this all works out!

When I feel the spirit I say things I don't really know how to say and I understand. With Ailton, the minute I walked through the door I knew that his wife had talked about us. It became obvious by his responses that someone talked to him and when Elder Wells brought that up, he immediately talked about how much his wife liked us. I bore my testimony about the power of the Book of Mormon, prayer, and most of all Christ (I doubt I could do it like that in English!). We said goodbye and it was sad because he is not allowed to make his own choices because his wife tells him to lie to representatives of Christ. I can only hope that he gets another chance...

Well, I gotta go! I love you!
Elder Page

No comments:

Post a Comment