We've started teaching in Portuguese and Friday we escape the CTM. Yeah, Elder Rogers and I have an extensive plan involving fake mustaches, and tear gas, and possibly a schizophrenic parrot! Ok really on Friday we get to go out and place copies of the Book of Mormon. I'm pretty excited but I'm worried about our Portuguese. I am starting to feel like the progress I'm making is real and not just half-memorized ramblings.
I realized that in my previous letters I have failed to adequately describe São Paulo, so here is my attempt: The streets are pretty narrow and the buildings flow with the hilly countryside (from the air you can see that the roads are like the contour lines on a map). All of the shops and stores have open fronts; I don't mean that their doors are open but that they don't have doors. Many of the larger shops have a couple of parking spaces partly inside the store itself! I've mentioned rather briefly about the roads but I don't think I did them justice. I have tremendous respect for anyone who manages to drive in Brazil; It's a little scary! Motorcycles don't have a lane, they just weave in and around traffic and the lanes are so narrow that I don't understand how we don't hit cars on the way to the temple. The worst was when our bus driver was learning how to drive a stick. End result: Three near-misses, two traffic jams (that he caused), and a partridge in a pear tree.
The people here are either really friendly or completely ignore you; If you say "bon día" to someone, be prepared for them to not look you in the eye or start talking about their grandchildren and asking what Florida and California are like!
Eu sei que O Livro de Môrmon é verdadeiro e que deus nos ama. Eu sei que esta missão vai ser difícil, mas eu sei que será o melhor manera para gastar dois anos. Eu amo todo vocês e quero enviar fotos mas não pode no CTM. Então, conserva tua rota!
PWoL: arbítrio - agency
Elder Page
This is a picture of the CTM (or MTC - Missionary Training Center) in São Paulo

1 comment:
Elder Page seriously cracks me up. I always have to catch myself and ask...is he serious?!?! I'm glad he didn't go the mustache, tear gas and parrot route!! I can't wait to find out about his BofM excursion. I'm so glad you are doing this blog. This really brings a lot of the missionary spirit into our home. Thank you for serving so well as a missionary family...and thank you Elder Page for serving as an amazing missionary!!
Post a Comment