Monday, December 12, 2011

12 December 2011

So, hey there all you happy people!

Well life is good, but it hurts too! Saturday we "bateu laje" which is so complicated to translate that I'll leave in for the PWoL. We spent more than six hours in the sun mixing cement and toting it up to the roof. It was awful. Even with my sunscreen I burned the back of my neck pretty badly and my body STILL aches. It was fun and it gave us an opportunity to talk with several non-members. I won't be repeating THAT particular project soon. Anyway life has been good here, I've just realized that I am working and doing what the Lord wants (I'm still not perfect, I'm not saying that I am). With or without baptisms I can see the value of my work. I have learned a lot from reading the Liahona (they don't have the Ensign here). Pay attention the next time that you read an issue. Most of the stories about baptism are about the author's baptism and the missionary stories often don't mention if the person was baptized or not. They just tell experiences in which they felt the spirit and I've been feeling His influence a lot lately. I've learned that the drive to do missionary work comes from inside of me and not from results. I am so excited for Christmas and the chance to talk to you all. This year has been difficult for me but I can testify that when we seek Christ he really does come "with healing in His wings". I never really understood that phrase before; what do wings have to do with healing? Now I get it; he comes as fast as he can when we call in righteousness. What mode of transport is faster than flight? What better image to show that he is willing to descend from heaven and give us the 'balm of Gilead"? I have felt the Savior's love and it just makes me want to spread these feelings to all others. I love this place. It's hard to really describe why: there's garbage everywhere, it stinks, no one speaks my native tongue, and often the people call me a Satan-worshipper. Somehow none of this makes it hard to love Recife! I want to take so many people home with me, but I'll have to settle for internet and letters. I guess I've got it better than a lot of returned missionaries. Well, this letter is starting to ramble and get weird, so I guess I'll end it here.

I love you all and I'm excited/horrified that I'll be home in little more than six months.

Elder Page

No comments:

Post a Comment