Wednesday, November 17, 2010

15 November 2010 - email

To answer the question of whether Brasil (I will be spelling it in Portuguese from now on, I think) is Christian I will just say that these phrases are painted, drawn, and graffiti-ed everywhere: God is faithful, Jesus - this name has power, this belongs to God, and Jesus loves you. Also one of the people's favorite lines to use when we invite them to do something is "Se deus quiser" or "If God wants". HE WANTS IT! Today we were in the park (with sloths and monkeys. No, I'm not kidding. Someone said there's Cobras there too!)

People don't have neighbors. The word neighbors implies that the houses and families are separate, not one big street-wide blob of people. So, yes, people are super involved in each others lives. Remember how the branch would start 1/2 hour late? Several meetings here have started over an hour late (not church itself, but other ones).

The city here is sprawling and our area is HUGE! It covers 5 hills, that I know of and has everything from busy city-center to quiet urban streets, from favela (shanty town) to mata (jungle/forest). The people here are receptive to a point. Most are always ready to listen, but doing something? Are you kidding me? It's a struggle to find those elect people that the Lord prepared.

We work mostly with references [referrals] from the members and neighbors of current or past investigators.

The wards here are normal, just a little irreverent (because people need to learn how to take care of their kids during the sacrament). They also have no carpet. I'm starting to forget the feel of carpet (or any hard surface) on my feet.

I love you all!
Elder Page

No comments:

Post a Comment